The Banaras Hindu University (BHU) is a public central university in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. The university was established in 1916. With more than 30,000 students residing on campus, BHU is the largest residential university in Asia. BHU serves as an attractive study destination for Students hailing from the northern, southern and even eastern regions of India. The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked BHU at 3rd position among all tip universities in India. The university offers courses in multiple disciplines at Undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level. BHU campus is spread over 1,300 acres. It has six Institutes and 14 faculties and over 140 departments. The Institute has more than 75 hostels for resident students.
Entrance Examination of BHU-
BHU conducts it’s entrance examination annually for admission to its various academic courses. The Institute conducts a national level entrance examination for admission to Undergraduate and postgraduate during May and June. The registration process of the entrance test begins in February and March. Generally, an amount of Rs 500 is the application fee for the general category and other backward class (OBC). While the application fee for SC/ST/PH candidates is Rs 250. However, for MBA the application fee is Rs 1500 for the general category and OBC. While for SC/ST the application fee is Rs 800. The candidates are selected on the basis of merit in the entrance test, subject to fulfilling other eligibility requirements.
Schools and departments of the university include –
1. Faculty of Arts
2. Faculty of commerce
3. Institute of Management studies
4. Institute of Science
5. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT BHU)
6. Faculty of Law
7. Institute of Agricultural Sciences
8. Institute of Medical Sciences
9. Faculty of Social Sciences
10. Institute of Environment and Substantial Development
11. Department of linguists
12. Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
13. Faculty of Education
14. Faculty of Visual Arts
15. Faculty of Performing Arts
16. Sanskrit Vidya Dharma Vijnan Sankaya
Eligibility details for BHU –
1. UG Courses – To enroll in undergraduate courses candidates must have passed class 12 examination with 50% marks in relevant discipline.
2. PG Courses -To enroll in postgraduate courses candidates must have passed graduation in relevant discipline with 50% marks in the aggregate.
3. Ph.D. Courses – To enroll in Ph.D. program candidates must have completed a master’s degree in relevant subject with at least 55% marks in the aggregate.
Courses and fee –
1. BA/B.P.Ed/B.Com/BFA – Rs 3400
2. B.Sc – Rs 4400
3. B.Ed – Rs 5700
4. MBA – Rs 45,800
5. MCA – Rs 23,900
6. MBBS/BAMS/BDS/B.Pharm – Rs 25000
7. LL.B and LL.M – Rs 3800 and Rs 4900
8. M.Phil – Rs 4700
9. Ph.D. – 7500
BHU provides financial help to meritorious and deserving students under the Students Welfare Fund.
1. Under the free meal facility, the university provides free lunch and dinner to 50 students for at least 7 months.
2. Under Annadaan Yojna, the university provides free lunch and dinner to 20 blind students and also an amount of Rs 5000 per annum
3. The university awards the first and second rank holders with a cash prize of Rs 4000 and Rs 300 respectively.
4. The University grants an amount of Rs 2000 per annum as Financial Assistance to the students belonging to poor family background. Around 100 students are granted this assistance.
5. BHU grants a one-time amount of Rs 4000 per student to the physically handicapped students for their entire course tenure, subject to a maximum of 25 subjects.
6. BHU also provides sleeper class rail fare to the research scholars participating in any national level seminar/ conference